Bands Named From the Movies, Books
Bad Company - 1972 movie of the same name
Black Sabbath - A Boris Karloff classic
Duran Duran - Named after the bad guy in 1967's campy
Heaven 17 - A fictional band originally mentioned in
A Clockwork Orange
Level 42 - A Hitchicker's Guide to the Galaxy
They Might Be Giants - From George C. Scott's Don
T'Pau - Star Trek TOS
Veruca Salt - 1971's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate
Steely Dan - From William S. Burrough's Naked
Mugwamps - also From William S. Burrough's Naked
| 1. the Strawberry Alarm Clock
- oddly, had two top 40 hits!
3. the Electric Prunes - a two hit wonder
4. Squirrel Nut Zippers
5. Hootie and The Blowfish
6. Procol Harum
7. 10,000 Maniacs - Hershel Gordon Lewis made a movie
in the early 60's called 2000 Maniacs. That is the basis for
the name of my band.
-Steven Gustafson, 10,000
8. Iron Butterfly - Heavy Metal band, best known for
10. Meat Loaf - Real Name: Marvin Lee Aday, once weighed
in at 320 pounds.
11. Wang Chung
12. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - What is a "Vandella"?
13. Tommy James and the Shondells - What is a "Shondell"?
14. Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Not "the"
15. The Ides of March - Watch out for these guys!
16. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Arthur was the
god of hellfire, and he brought us... Fire!
17. Twisted Sister
18. ? and the Mysterians - Little is known about these
guys from Michigan, all born in Texas.
19. Psychedelic Furs
20. Mike + the Mechanics - Mike Rutherford from Genesis,
and four other musicians
21. Men Without Hats
22. Mott the Hoople
23. Glass Tiger
25. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
|26. Jimmy Eat World
27. Sam The Sham and the Pharoehs
28. Everything But The Girl - These guys had it all.
A Number one hit single, and a girl lead singer. The
band got their name from a store that was called "Everything
but the Girl". Everything in the store was for sale,
except the girl. - Reyna
29. Haircut One Hundred
30. Barenaked Ladies
31. The The
32. Fine Young Cannibals
33. Alice DeeJay - oh, like a girl could be
34. Toad the Wet Sprocket
35. Disco Tex & His Sex-O-Lettes
36. Soup Dragons
37. 30 Seconds To Mars
39. the Trashmen
40. Led Zeppelin
41. Ugly Kid Joe
42. Right Said Fred
43. Kentucky Headhunters
44. Butthole Surfers
45. Def Leppard
46. Gnarls Barkley
47. Smash Mouth
48. Death Cab For Cutie
49. Violent Femmes
50. Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
52. The Dead Milkmen
53. The Flying Burrito Brothers
54. The Cuff Links
55. Timex Social Club
56. Somethin' Smith & the Redheads
57. Gerry and the Pacemakers
58. Plain White Tees
59. Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys
60. Alien Ant Farm
61. Panic! At the Disco
| *PS - Don't confuse Kris Kross with
Christopher Cross. Many people get them mixed up, and they